Monday 20 July 2009

African Tapes


I just came across this beauty, Awesome Tapes From Africa - a Brooklyn based blog that has gone about sourcing a constant catalogue of African music, uploaded from tape. Whilst I was out there a few summers ago I had a hard time finding any decent stuff that wasn't either a shoddy CD rip or buried beneath Celine Dion. I guess I wasn't looking in the right places, and it's annoying that I've only got my hands on the stuff whilst sitting in my pants in Surrey with a laptop, but there you go. The latest entry happens to include some old Accra based highlife which among other things, happily reminds me of Al Hasan - the giver of drums, um bongo and dangerous motorbike rides.

Awesome Tapes Of Africa

1 comment:

Jameson said...

Sick cheers for this, check http://myfavvouritesound.blogspot.com/ for jazz, funk, soul vinyl turned into mp3, theres some really good stuff on there, peace Jameson