Sunday 28 December 2008

Christmas, sun, sunburn etc.

Growing up in England you are made to believe Christmas is about the 0.03 % chance it's going to snow, shocking TV, family, and shocking TV. I have absolutely no problem with that, it's the 25th of December that I know and love, it just meant this years festivities could not have been more different.

Waking up in your Dads ex-wifes place is odd sure, so is a morning swim at Bondi. Being surrounded by hundreds of swimmers on the big day is definately not normal for a person conditioned to seeing nobody but family and close friends. I'm still undecided about this, but I have to say if I was going to swim again on Christmas day it would have to be at a slightly quieter location. The River Wey Anyone?

The afternoon gave way to a routine I could get used to rather more easily. Beer, food, rooftop, champagne, beer, food, beer, rooftop, food, wine, champagne, food, rooftop. Oh and sun, loads of sun. In fact the only difference from the norm was the sun. And I like sun.

The evening went that little bit further and all I'm going to say is that when I should have been watching Braveheart or playing Cranium I was in fact dancing to some god awful trance with a group of very happy, loving individuals who were on the whole twice my age or more. An enlightening experience, but maybe next year I'll be more up for drizzle and Beethoven like the good old days. Below is a picture of my two favourite Australians and a chihuahua, and the only other ex-pat on the roof. Is that what five Christmas's in Australia does to us lot?




















No comments: